Weekly Clinical Service Dose: 2 Ways to Reset Your Health After Labor Day
Making the First Day Easier
Summer can feel like one long semi-vacation—and it’s easy to fall into the trap of the “anything goes” vacay mindset for three whole months. If you’ve indulged more often than you planned. You may be itching to get back on track, and recommit to clean eating this fall. Here are a few simple ways you can prepare to hit reset after Labor Day.
Eat every 3 to 5 hours
• Start with breakfast, even if you don’t feel especially hungry first thing in the morning.
• Regular meals help regulate your hunger hormones, keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady, and maximize your metabolism—which are all key factors for seeing quick weight-loss results.
• Get in the habit of prepping clean meals and snacks, and choose some go-to recipes, so you can stock up on the right ingredients.
• A good breakfast option is a veggie and avocado omelet, with a side of fresh fruit.
• For lunch try fresh greens lightly tossed with vinaigrette made from balsamic vinegar, lemon, and Italian seasoning; and topped with lean protein, avocado, and a small scoop of quinoa or chickpeas.
• At dinner, you can’t go wrong with a veggie “pasta”: Sauté a generous portion of veggies in low-sodium veggie broth with garlic and herbs, and serve over a bed of cooked spaghetti squash. Then add a lean protein on top, and garnish with sliced almonds. If there’s a long stretch between lunch and dinner, snack on nuts or seeds and fresh fruit.
Commit to H2O
Making water your beverage of choice is one of the most impactful changes you can adopt. There are lots of reasons:
• Water curbs appetite, and supports metabolism, digestion, and circulation.
• It can also do wonders for your skin, and help your de-bloat from sodium-triggered fluid retention.
Start weaning yourself off:
• Bubbly beverages, and all drinks sweetened with sugar and even natural, no-cal substitutes.
• Begin every day with a tall glass of water; then sip three 16-ounce servings throughout the day. If you don’t like water plain, add lemon or lime, sliced cucumber and mint, or slightly mashed berries.
This strategy is one of the quickest ways to flatten your belly, and get sweet cravings under control.
Have a question? Contact us at AskANurse@DirectPathHealth.com