Weekly Clinical Service Dose: National Sleep Awareness Week
Sleep is essential to feeling refreshed and rested, and is an indispensable part of a healthy lifestyle.
Along with a balanced diet and regular exercise, sleep is one of the pillars of a healthy lifestyle. Getting the sleep that your body needs is essential for your health and well-being. To get good sleep, you need a good bedtime.
Don’t know where to begin when it comes to good sleep? Here are some tips that may help you:
• Turn off all electronics an hour before bed. That includes laptops, tablets, or smartphones. If you’re reading before bed, consider paper format.
• Try not to eat a huge meal before bedtime. If you feel hungry around that time, try eating a small healthy snack instead!
• Reduce your caffeine intake eight hours before going to bed. Try drinking caffeine-free tea such as chamomile, ginger, or peppermint.
• Feeling stressed? Try mediation or light yoga as a relaxation technique. Scents can also help transport you to dreamland. Try using an aromatherapy diffuser with vanilla, valerian and jasmine to help you feel relaxed and calm.
• Keep your bedroom temperature cool around 60-67 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Try blackout curtains or use a sleep mask if you feel your bedroom isn’t dark enough.
Healthy sleep promotes physical health and mental well-being. It also boosts performance and reduces safety risks. “Sleep Well, Be Well”: It’s the motto for a healthier lifestyle.
Have a question? Contact us at AskANurse@DirectPathHealth.com